Saturday, November 13, 2010

Letter to the body accepting nomination for VP

Chad Simmons
253 N. Broadway #304 
Portland, OR 97227

I.A.T.S.E. Local 28
Portland, Oregon

Greetings,
         I am writing this letter in the event that I am unable to attend the October 12, 2010 meeting in which we will be accepting nominations for office for our local.

       If any member were to nominate me for office I would graciously accept.  I am interested specifically in the office of Vice President or a seat on the
Executive board.

       October 6 of this year I turned 39 years old.  For the last year I have done a great deal of soul searching in regards to my future.  I have enjoyed all my years spent as a stagehand.  I have learned a lot and know there is yet more to learn. 
    Working as a member of Local 28 has brought to me a wide range of accomplishments for which I am most proud as well as more than a few tragedies from which I have struggled to understand and learn. 

I’ve made no secret of my attempts to seek out more schooling in the hopes of providing new opportunities which could in fact take me on a different career path.  After much reflection I’ve come to the conclusion that the union may be the only legitimate organization in which I fit in and for which I am willing to devote a large portion of my life.  I can be sure it will provide an equal measure of triumph and tragedy as long as I am committed to it. 

I understand the level of commitment a position such as this will demand.  In all honesty I need something like this in my life.  I did not join the union solely on the basis of earning a better wage and getting benefits.  Working for the union has provided me with one of the few opportunities to do something I love while also supporting one of the few organizations that makes a difference in social justice.   

I have a degree in Communication Studies with an emphasis on rhetoric and the building of solid arguments.  I founded and was president of a non-profit organization still in operation today in Southern Nevada.  I know I can provide the resolve and sensibility to keep the union strong and help the union to grow in this time of transition.   

        I thank you brothers and sisters for your time and wish only the best for our local in the coming year.

                                                                                                Fraternally,                                                                                     Chad Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment